Firstly, organic cotton is a naturally grown plant that has very little processing. It is simply plucked off the bush and it's already a fibre.
It's as close to nature as we can get, and that's always a great starting point for babies.
- It's non-allergenic. This is great for babies who might have sensitive skin and are susceptible to eczema or skin conditions
- It's soft. Newborn skin is very delicate, so this matters
- It's washable. Babies need washable items and cotton just gets more comfy the more its washed.
- It's cool. You don't want your baby overheating, so cool cotton clothing is ideal next to bare skin.
- It breathes. This is a wonderful feature of cotton that has to be chemically replicated in artificial fabrics - often unsuccessfully
- It's easy to wear. What is it about a cotton t-shirt? A simple cotton dress? We love putting them on, and babies love comfy stuff.
- It's not releasing particulate matter that could trigger an asthma attack.
- It can be tumble dried or line-dried.
- It's easy to clean without harsh chemicals. Cotton's fibres release dirt when washing, so eco detergents work better on cotton
- It absorbs moisture, so it's the go-to fabric for environmental nappies
- It's untreated. Synthetics are often finished with chemicals to give them a nice hand feel. Organic cotton is chemical free.
- It has less impact on the environment than normal cotton and all the synthetics - and that's your baby's future.
- It's biodegradable so the planet is not coping with it hundreds of years after use
- It's easy to keep looking nice with simple folding or rolling up
- It's absolutely gorgeous fresh off the line, smelling of sunshine and goodness. A happy planet smell.